FWF-funded investigators are required to provide free public online access to articles that they publish. According to the FWF Policy, open access is mandatory, but the choice between ACS AuthorChoice via CC-BY or self-deposition of your accepted manuscript is your decision. FWF has an agreement with the ACS, and will cover costs associated with ACS AuthorChoice via CC-BY; for these articles, ACS handles deposit of final published article in PubMed Central (PMC), the contents of PMC are mirrored on Europe PMC—nothing more is required on your part. The payment for ACS AuthorChoice program via CC-BY is directly covered by the FWF to ACS with no charge paid by authors, noting:
Authors are asked to include the FWF project number(s) in their acknowledgement.
Consideration of the following can help authors funded by FWF:
Provide all requested information about your funding source(s). The ACS Paragon Plus environment now includes new options enabling authors to provide funding information.
Sign the Journal Publishing Agreement. Upon acceptance, Authors will receive an email with a customized link to complete and sign a Journal Publishing Agreement. The Journal Publishing Agreement assistant will identify you as an author funded by the Austrian Science Fund, allowing you to retain copyright and publish your research under a CC-BY Creative Commons license. Find out more information about the forms and instructions for the Journal Publishing Agreements.
Need guidance to help you with the publishing process? We have a number of resources to assist you:
- Step-by-Step Guide to ACS Journals Manuscript Submission
- ACS Guide to Scholarly Communication
- The ACS Publishing Center has everything you need to prepare and review manuscripts for ACS journals.
- Learn publishing from the inside out with the ACS Author University, providing videos and articles from our editor community on tips for scientific writing, securing funding, rejection, and much more.
- ACS Author Lab helps authors to master the preparation and publication of scientific manuscripts.