ACS Hybrid / Transformative Journals
Publish open access in any ACS journal
In addition to our range of fully open access journals, authors have the option to publish open access under a Creative Commons license in all ACS journals. Publications which include a combination of subscription access and open access research articles are often referred to as hybrid journals.
Information about open access pricing for our hybrid journals can be found on our open access pricing page.
Use our Journal Finder tool to identify the right ACS journal for your next original research article:
ACS Journal Finder
Additional publishing options for some Plan S funded researchers
ACS is continuously working with institutions and funders to support author choice, and to forge a sustainable path towards open access.
In addition to direct open access agreements with hundreds of institutions, a number of ACS Publications’ hybrid journals qualify as ‘transformative journals’ under Plan S through December 2024.
What is a transformative journal?
Transformative journals are subscription-access or hybrid publications that have committed to publishing an increasing number of open access articles in line with specific targets, and an eventual transition to 100% open access.Learn More
- Accounts of Chemical Research
- Accounts of Materials Research
- ACS Agricultural Science & Technology
- ACS Applied Bio Materials
- ACS Earth and Space Chemistry
- ACS Energy Letters
- ACS Food Science & Technology
- ACS Pharmacology & Translational Science
- ACS Photonics
- ACS Sensors
- ACS Synthetic Biology
- Analytical Chemistry
- Chemical Reviews
- Crystal Growth & Design
- Environmental Science & Technology
- Environmental Science & Technology Letters
- Journal of Chemical Education
- Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling
- Journal of Proteome Research
- Journal of the American Chemical Society
- Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry A
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry B
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C
The main features of a transformative journal include:
- A long-term commitment to becoming fully open access
- Regular, transparent reporting to authors on the performance of their article – including views, downloads, and other usage information
- Advocating the benefits of open access to researchers and institutions
- Full pricing transparency, including reporting on how article processing charges are offset against subscription prices until the journal becomes fully open access
- Providing authors with a range of publication models so they can meet the requirements of their institutions and funders
What does this mean for authors?
Many research funders that have signed up to Plan S will cover the full costs of open access publication in transformative journals. This support is being offered until 31 December 2024. You can use our Journal Finder tool to find the best ACS Publications journal for your research article, and identify the extent to which your funder will provide additional financial support.
You can also check if your funder is a Plan S signatory, and to what extent they support authors in publishing open access, on the Plan S Implementation Roadmap.
How is progress tracked?
Each of our Transformative Journals is subject to particular annual targets to retain this status. You can find out more about these targets here.