ACS Transformative Journals
Additional publishing options for some Plan S funded researchers
ACS is continuously working with institutions and funders to support author choice, and to forge a sustainable path towards open access.
In addition to direct open access agreements with hundreds of institutions, all of ACS Publications’ previous hybrid journals now qualify as ‘transformative journals’ under Plan S.
What is a Transformative Journal?
Transformative journals are subscription-access or hybrid publications that have committed to publishing an increasing number of open access articles in line with specific targets, and an eventual transition to 100% open access.Learn More
The main features of a transformative journal include:
- A long-term commitment to becoming fully open access
- Regular, transparent reporting to authors on the performance of their article – including views, downloads, and other usage information
- Advocating the benefits of open access to researchers and institutions
- Full pricing transparency, including reporting on how article processing charges are offset against subscription prices until the journal becomes fully open access
- Providing authors with a range of publication models so they can meet the requirements of their institutions and funders
What does this mean for authors?
Many research funders that have signed up to Plan S will cover the full costs of open access publication in transformative journals. This support is being offered until 31 December 2024. You can use our Journal Finder tool to find the best ACS Publications journal for your research article, and identify the extent to which your funder will provide additional financial support.
You can also check if your funder is a Plan S signatory, and to what extent they support authors in publishing open access, on the Plan S Implementation Roadmap.
How is progress tracked?
Each of our Transformative Journals is subject to particular targets annual targets to retain this status. You can find out more about these targets here.